Discover GreenlandMake your own custom trip
Greenland - Travel tips
At first glimpse Greenland can appear as a harsh and inhospitable land, anyway this huge island can offer you a unique and unforgettable vacation. It is mainly covered by an ice cap, named Inlandis and formed over several millennia, characterized by tangled fjords and steep cliffs, but Greenland also boasts gorgeous landscapes that will leave every visitor speechless. Furthermore, this remote part of the world also hosts some of the most wonderful natural phenomena, such as aurora borealis, which lightens the dark winter sky.
Enjoying the sparkle of the sun over the glaciers, the wide tundra, the evocative and majestic icebergs, but also the picturesque urban landscapes composed by small, white and pure Inuit igloos will make your holiday in Greenland a unique experience. Do not miss the chance to also enjoy the heterogeneous local fauna and a sledge ride!
Our travel experts will plan the perfect tailormade trip and tour for you, in order to give you the chance to live your dream itinerary in this enchanting place.
Travel ideas in Greenland
| 4 days | No flight
If you're looking for a winter adventure amidst some of the most scenic and pristine landscapes in the world, then this East Greenland holiday is perfect for you! Sleddog excursions, snowshoeing in glaciers and trail, snowmobile tours and much more!
from 2,911 €
| 4 days | No flight
Explore the winter wonders of Greenland in the iceberg paradise! A perfect combination of adventure and warmth - go snowmobiling, dog sledding and snowshoeing; hunt for the northern lights; and listen to ancient tales and myths with the locals.
| 4 days | No flight
Set in a fjord filled with icebergs, Ilulissat is one of Greenland's most stunning destinations. Take a short summer break to marvel at the beauty of this UNESCO Heritage site and also visit Eqi, an active glacier where you can experience the ice calving. You will also take an adventure to the ice sheet and get to know the locals over kaffemik at Illimanaq.
Send you request in few simple steps
Quotation without obligation of reservation
Make the best of your business! Find customers all over the world with vivitravels.com!View more
Trip themes in Greenland
The Inuit populationWho are the Inuits, this mysterious people you only hear about from time to time? The term means "humanity" and indicates an Arctic population descended from Thule civilization. The Inuits belong to the group of Eskimo peoples together with the Yupiks: the first live in northern Alaska, Greenland and Canada, the latter in western Alaska and in the Russian Far East. The term Eskimo means "raw fish eater", but do not call an Inuit "Eskimo": it seems that they prefer to be indicated by their specific name. The Inuits of Greenland inhabit a territory with extreme climatic conditions, the tundra and the permafrost, and make up about 90% of the Greenland population, while the remaining 10% is made up of Europeans, especially Danes (Greenland is part of the Kingdom of Denmark). If you are planning a trip to Greenland, surely a meeting with this incredible population is to be taken into account. Here are 10 things to know about Inuits before leaving.Read more
What to see in GreenlandGreenland is an isolated, remote and cold island in the American continent, politically belonging to the Kingdom of Denmark, a destination for explorers and scientists. A little known travel destination, ideal for those who love adventure and do not fear the harsh climatic conditions, offers a land covered with snow for most of the year, jagged coasts littered with islands, which in summer reveals unexpected expanses of green meadows. A trip to Greenland is an unforgettable experience, even for a honeymoon outside of the usual routes. If the land of ice captivates you but you do not know where to start, here are some tips on what to see and on the routes that can be taken.Read more
The travel is the traveller and it reflects his spirit
Why visit Greenland
Greenland is an island belonging to the American continent; it is also the largest island in the world. Originally, it was a colony of Norway, but in 1953 it became part of the Danish Kingdom.
The territory of Greenland is almost entirely covered by ice, which can reach a thickness of 3,000 metres. The coasts are very jagged and characterized by a very dense maze of fjords and islets formed by erosion of glaciers over the years. Human settlements are mainly located on the islands, since they are not completely covered by ice. This is why Greenland does not have a real infrastructural network and railways don't exist. The most common means of transport are boats, ferries and airplanes, anyway these often cannot work due to the hostile meteorological conditions.