The spectacle of the Iguassu Falls: the Brazilian side

September 19, 2019

If you are planning a trip to Brazil there is something you can't really miss: the Iguassu Falls, on the border with Argentina.

View of Iguassu Falls in Brazil

Iguassu Falls are located on the border between Brazil and Argentina, respectively called Cataratas do Iguaçu in Portuguese (Brazilian side) and Cataratas del Iguazú in Spanish (Argentinian side). Generated by Iguazú, they river are located precisely on the border between the Argentine province of Misiones and the Brazilian State of Paraná, 80% within the Argentine state and for the remaining 20% ​​in the Brazilian state.

The Iguassu Falls are one of the main naturalistic attractions during a trip to Brazil, or a combined trip between Brazil and Argentina. The complex consists of 275 waterfalls, up to 70 meters high, within the Iguazu National Park (Argentina) and the Iguaçu National Park (Brazil), both UNESCO heritage sites. The Iguassu or Iguazu falls are among the seven wonders of the world. The gateway to reach them from the Brazilian side is the town of Foz do Iguaçu in the state of Paraná.

View of Iguassu Falls in Brazil
Iguassu Falls are included among the seven wonders of the world.

How to reach the Brazilian side

To reach Iguassu Falls from abroad, you must first stop in Rio de Janeiro and then take a domestic flight to Foz do Iguaçu. From this Brazilian town you can reach the waterfalls by bus.

From the town it is also possible to reach the Argentinean side of the waterfalls, either by private bus or by taxi, even if this second option can be more expensive. If the Argentine side is wider and longer to visit, the route on the Brazilian side is shorter (about half a day).

Tourists visiting Iguassu Falls, Brazil
It is possible to reach the Argentine side of the falls by private bus.

When to go

Iguassu Falls are located in an area with a sub-tropical wet climate that can be visited all year round. From October to March there is the rainy season, hot and muggy, while from May to September there is the dry season, cooler but with less rainfall. Brazilians and Argentinians are on vacation in January and February, so these are most crowded periods with the highest prices of services.

Did we make you want to leave? Take a look at our tailor-made tours in Brazil!

Recommended for you