Wild West self-drive
Take the road less travelled, visit places unspoiled by humans and see the wonders and creativity of nature at their best. The wonderful Westfjords & Snaefellsnes regions offer an endless variety of stunning mountains, deep blue fjords, thundering waterfalls, monumental cliffs abundant with bird life, silent glaciers, unspoiled beaches, rejuvenating hot springs, craters and lava fields!Read more
Wild West Drive is an independent traveller's dream. If you like to get away from it all and explore the tranquil and untouched nature Iceland is famous for, then nothing beats the Westfjords & Snaefellsnes. A customised road trip is a personal experience and our goal is to design an itinerary that matches your dream trip. Here is an 8 day / 7 night sample itinerary to give you a general idea of our Wild West Drive trip starting from Keflavik.
The locations specified above are indicative. Since the exact itinerary is customised for your arrival and departure times, activities and tours you choose, and the pace of your trip; these might change.
We can of course also accommodate any preferences you have.
Here are some of the ways in which we can customise this trip:
- Add extra days to slow down the pace or enrich your itinerary with more time for activities or detours; there is enough to do for 2 weeks
- Cut a day or two from the itinerary to allow for reduced time or budget
- Create a themed itinerary with an emphasis on your favourite activity or interest f.e. adventure, geology, hiking, geothermal pools, birds & wildlife, cuisine, history & culture etc.
- If you want to explore more sights off the beaten path then we have a ton of great ideas
Starting from: Reykjavik or Keflavik
Season: 1st May-31st Oct
Duration: 8+ days
Driving distance: 1600-1800 kms
Highlights: Latrabjarg - Raudasandur - Dynjandi - Isafjordur - Isafjordur Bay - Strandir - Snaefellsnes
Available as a self-drive or private guided tour
A long day of dreamy landscapes as you drive through the winding fjords of the Isafjardardjup Bay, with a detour the Kaldalon glacial creek which flows from the isolated Drangajokull glacier, before nestling down in Heydalur valley for the evening.
Drive onwards to the picturesque Isafjordur town, the capital of the Westfjords, and spend the rest of the day in its charming downtown or enjoy a detour to one of the surrounding villages.
Isafjordur Culture Walk
Svalvogar Cliffs Super Jeep tour
Isafjordur Mountain Hiking
A full day to explore the wonderful Snaefellsnes peninsula, where the Snaefellsjokull glacier-volcano dominates the landscape. Surrounding the glacier are some fascinating lava fields and rock formations; unique beaches including Arnarstapi and Hellnar; the Kirkjufell mountain and waterfall; and charming fishing villages.
Lava caving tour
Whale watching tour
Price for private guided tour: Contact us with details of group size, language and requirements.
Does not include:
- Optional tour and activities of your choice
- Additional meals: Lunch and dinner
- Additional insurance: SCDW, Gravel, Sand & Ash
- WiFi device
- Baby car seats
- Everything not stated in the "Inclusions" section
During winter (November-April) we do not offer this trip as some key mountain passes in the Westfjords close due to snow.
For self-drive, a station car is sufficient for this holiday, except as follows:
- During summer (June-September) a 4x4 jeep is not required unless you wish to drive on mountain trails (F-roads) or prefer it for the comfort as there are some gravel roads along the way.
- During spring & autumn (May & October) a 4x4 jeep is not mandatory but highly recommended since it can easily snow on the mountain passes.
For private tours, we offer a variety of comfortable vehicles for different group sizes with a local guide.
We offer a wide variety of handpicked quality accommodations from star category hotels to guesthouses and apartments, all well rated and located so as to balance your daily driving time.
Additional information for your Iceland trip will be sent to you after the booking. This will include details about weather and clothing, currencies and payments, electricity system, food and water, safety, contact info, and other useful tips.
The minimum driver age for is 20 years for smaller cars and 25 years for jeeps. Drivers must bring an international driving licence or a local driving licence written in a Roman script.
| 10 days | No flight
Iceland: Akureyri, Husavik, Siglufjörður, Blonduos, Drangsnes, Isafjordur, Patreksfjörður, Stykkishólmur, Reykjavik , Keflavik
from 2,934 €
| 6 days | No flight
Iceland: Borgarnes, Gullfoss, Vík , Reykjavik , Keflavik
from 1,527 €
| 8 days | No flight
Iceland: Gullfoss, Vík , Egilsstaðir , Myvatn, Stykkishólmur, Reykjavik , Keflavik
from 1,872 €